About Cloud and Virtualisation Service Management
The Cloud and Virtualisation Service Management team is part of the IaaS Business Support. It provides 24x7 third-level and engineering support across all supported Server and Desktop Virtualization technologies (i.e. VMware ESX, KVM, OpenStack) within the firm. Serving the Business and IT communities and providing run-the-bank and build-the-bank coverage, the service aims to link Business and IT priorities, pro-actively improve the environment through monitoring and automation, and so ensure Virtualization and Cloud technologies continue to underpin the growth of the firm as a whole. The Team runs a Follow the Sun (FTS) model with staff in London, New York & Lithuania.
Overall purpose of role:
Virtualisation VMware Support Specialist, based in Pune, India. Part of the Cloud&Virt Service Operations team providing 24x7 supports for the Cloud and Virtualisation estate within Barclays. Build and maintain strong relationships with peer service operation organizations and the rest of the Cloud & Virtualization Team.
Key Accountabilities and Skills required:
This section should include:
Key specific accountabilities.
Monitor CLOUD L1 and L2 stack
• Monitor Splunk / vmTurbo alerts
• Cover global hotline
• Daily SOD Peer checks –3x24x7
• Manage Barclays own private cloud automation failed tasks at SOD, start & mid shift, escalate when necessary
• Review pending CRs for capacity uplifts, start & mid shift
• Undertake fully documented technically simple remediation tasks
• Monitoring Barclays own private cloud mailbox and escalate accordingly
• Attend daily cloud calls
• Answer user queries
• Contribute and eventually take over ownership of L1/L2 wiki –Cloud section
• Manage more complex remediation tasks
• Develop more sophisticated and exhaustive documentation
• Resolve any other basis ESX issues as per approved KB articles on VIS wiki, and escalate to L3 when appropriate
• Perform monthly clean-up of powered off servers
• Current knowledge and hands on experience of virtualisation and automation technologies (Vmware/KVM) as well as HP and Cisco UCS server hardware technologies.
• Working knowledge and demonstrable experience of supporting MS Windows and/or RHEL on virtual platforms.
• Exposure to OpenStack Cloud OS and Linux KVM an advantage.
Exposure to AWS Public Cloud and Scripting
• Experience working with Service Now an advantage.
Stakeholder management and leadership.
As a member of Service Operations Team, the candidate is expected to be the first point of contact for customers. The candidate should have excellent communication skills and solid understanding of the technologies underpinning virtualisation.
Decision making and problem solving.
The candidate should demonstrate solid technical problem solving skills and the ability to work with various teams in pressurized circumstances.
Risk and Control: All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards